February 15, 2009

Coffee, Pretty Please


I have one addiction. Coffee, that sweet dark ambrosia, kickstarts my day with a lovely rush of caffeine and helps bring the world in focus for me. Well, it did until I moved here. My access to good, strong coffee has been severely curtailed since touching down in Beijing.

Air China's coffee tasted like weak instant Nescafé. The hotel where I'm staying serves marginally better coffee, but my body fails to register that delicious click of awareness that coffeeshops back home serve me. It looks like coffee. It tastes like weak coffee. But three shot glass-fuls later, still no effect. What gives?

While I know the local Starbucks will have the dark roast which I love, it will be a fun challenge to see if I can find nearby options that can compare to that international chain's offerings. The search continues. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm... coffee. The search for a great cup is always exciting, or at least caffeinated. Let me know if it's time to send over a care package via Intelligentsia!

    connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I maybe contacting you soon about that care package. The situation is looking dire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I'm NOT COOL with you not having access to The Bean. If you don't find some caffeinated goodness (I LOVE the descriptor "that sweet dark ambrosia", BTW) you need to get on the next flight home...it simply isn't worth it. ;)

    ReplyDelete